SEPA (Single Euro Payments Area) Direct Debit is a popular European banking payment method that simplifies cross-border shopping in Euro. It is an online payment method where money is electronically withdrawn from the shopper’s bank account and then deposited into the merchant’s own bank account. SEPA Direct Debit transactions are monitored by our built-in fraud prevention capabilities, just like credit card transactions.
- San Marino
These are the main steps involved in processing SEPA Direct Debit transactions:
- Shopper selects SEPA Direct Debit and provides IBAN and account holder information.
- Shopper accepts mandate authorizing their account to be debited and submits payment.
- The shopper gets redirected to a post-checkout page displaying order details and receives notification of the upcoming debit (an invoice in pending status is created).
- Within 6 days, the shopper's account is debited (invoice status updates to approved), and the shopper receives notification of the successful debit.
Note: It is recommended to deliver the product only after the approval has been received.
If you're using the BuyNow Hosted Checkout page, contact merchant support at email@example.com, requesting SEPA Direct Debit to be enabled for your account.
You may use the following IBANs to test various scenarios.
- DE09100100101234567893: The transaction status moves from pending to success
- DE09100100101234567892: The transaction status moves from pending to fail
- DE09100100101234567894: The transaction status moves from pending to success to refunded
Note: After the initial transaction request, you will see the status change within an hour.
If you're using the BlueSnap API, SEPA Direct Debit is available for you to implement in your website. For complete implementation details, see the API guide for SEPA Direct Debit.
BlueSnap supports subscriptions with SEPA Direct Debit. Note that subscriptions with SEPA Direct Debit do not support the following:
- Plans with a billing frequency of daily or weekly
- Trial periods
- Automated retries in BlueSnap's Subscription engine
Refunds can be processed only after the shopper's account has been debited and the invoice status has changed to approved. Note that if you request a refund while the invoice is pending (before shopper's account has been debited), you will receive an error message informing you the transaction has not yet settled.
If a refund is requested after the shopper's account has been debited, BlueSnap will remove the funds from your account and the invoice status will update to refunded.
Chargebacks can be requested by the shopper after the date on which their account was debited (i.e. debit date). The way chargebacks are handled will depend on how long after the debit date the chargeback was requested.
Within eight weeks of debit date
Chargebacks requested within eight weeks of the debit date will be automatically honored. This means that if a chargeback occurs within these eight weeks, the shopper's account will be credited whether or not they accepted the SEPA Direct Debit mandate during checkout or they received any goods/services. BlueSnap will remove the funds from your account and the invoice status will update to refunded.
Eight weeks to thirteen months of debit date
Chargebacks requested within the eight week to thirteen month time period after the debit date will be reviewed by the shopper’s bank. The bank will be provided with the details of the shopper’s SEPA Direct Debit mandate to consider as part of their decision. If the bank decides in the shopper's favor, then BlueSnap will remove the funds for your account and the invoice status will update to refunded.
After thirteen months of debit date
Chargebacks cannot occur after thirteen months of the debit date.